Which pearls are best? Your quick guide to buying pearl jewellery
When looking to treat yourself to a piece of pearl jewellery, traditionally five criteria determine the quality of the pearls, which in accordance with the most established pearl grading system are graded between A and AAA, AAA being the best quality. These five criteria are:
- Shape, perfectly round pearls are still the most expensive, though many more beautiful shapes are formed
- Lustre, the surface/nacre of the pearl, the more metallic and mirror like the surface is the better-quality pearl
- Colour, the evenness in colour of the pearl surface
- Size is a highly determining factor for price, the larger the pearl generally the more expensive
- Thickness of nacre, the metallic lustre covering the pearl. The thicker the greater the quality of the pearl
However, when buying pearls, go for the shape and colour you love and then for the best quality and the jewellery design that speaks to you and feels most like you and reflect your personality.